Thursday, July 8, 2010

Hola amigos!!

SPANISH WORD OF THE DAY... predicar (preh-dee-kahr): to preach

Tomorrow is Game Day!! First sermon. So today we had orientation at the SDA conference, Misión Norte de Guatemala. Even though there were obvious language barriers, we felt the Adventist connection, you know what I'm saying? Everyone was really nice, taking time to shake the hands of every single one of us and calling us hermanos (brothers) and hermanas (sisters). We had a short worship with song service and a devotional, with translation. I'm getting to use my Spanish alot, rough though it is. I get excited when I see a Spanish billboard in California, so imagine how I feel when all the billboards in the country are in Spanish!! I love it here!!!

After worship they instructed us on sermon prep, working with translators, assigned us churches, and lots of other stuff. Our coordinator said the churches are going to view us as pastors during the campaign. Oy. Pressure. I was assigned to a church called Vista Hermosa (that means "beautiful view;" I like it already!), and my main contact was a sweet smiling lady named Guadalupe. Afterward we had lunch, and I attempted to converse with Guadalupe and her familia. I'm pretty sure a couple of them were laughing at me, but hey, gotta have no shame when you learn a language. I did have one thing going for me though: being from Hawaii. Oooh, they loved that, haha. We got to see the Adventist school, which was in the same complex and consisted of a couple of worn cement buildings, a basketball court with no hoops, and an overgrown soccer field. The kids were out to recess and they kept looking at us curiously. Ahaha, uh hola, sí, somos gringos!

Hmm, closing thoughts? Well, since we've been here, I think we've been given enough rice, beans, and tortillas to establish a whole 'nother Latin American country. My skin feels weird because of the layers of sunscreen and mosquito repellent. (Yes mom, I'm using both!) And they play soccer everywhere we go. Well, gotta go practice sermons more. Until next time!! :)

2 comments:

  1. bestest monkey friendJuly 8, 2010 at 4:05 PM

    colleen! your trip sounds amazing so far! :D im so glad to hear you're having fun and being blessed. we're praying for you and miss you terribly. can't wait to hear about more of your adventures! love you <3

    bree el mono grande :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. monkey!!!! sorry i didn't reply earlier!!!! thanks for your prayers! i miss you mucho!!!! hope all is well in the land of cali :) we should skype call some time! k den
    <3,
    cleany monkey

    ReplyDelete